Standing on my balcony a couple of days ago, I noticed some kids playing outside. Throwing mud over each other, jumping in puddles, laughing at each other, the usual. They seemed to be having a lot of fun teasing each other and seeing them like that was making me laugh too. A while later, when I was in my room, I replayed the whole scene in my brain and started laughing to myself. All my childhood memories resurfaced. It was just so easy, a good laugh made me forget all my worries and tensions of life.
It was then, that I realised, that happiness really comes from within. It doesn’t exist in material things nor does it come from being with specific people. It is not the situations that define us; it is how we deal with them that define us. Life is surely not a bed of roses. Everyone who is born is meant to go through ups and downs in life. Life doesn’t spare anyone. But, the one who crosses the ocean of difficulties is the person who knows the real difference between existing and living. Living life means to maximise happiness and to minimise sorrows.
Living life is an art, and here I am, disclosing to you the art of living a happy life, some things which I have realised the little time I have been on earth.
– If you’ll try to control everything, you’ll enjoy nothing. Relax, breathe and accept what life has to offer you. Life is a beautiful mystery, unfold it with a smile and welcome it with open arms. Happiness isn’t about getting what you want; it’s about loving what you have and being grateful for it.
– Be optimistic. Life isn’t meant to be easy, it’s meant to be lived. With every up and down you learn lessons that make you strong. Remember, a storm makes the tree take deeper roots. If you are going through a bad phase, tell yourself that it is for your own good, it will make you strong. Stay positive, better days are on their way. Always remember, ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’.
– Stress is a choice. You have the power to heal yourself. We believe what we tell ourselves. Think positive. You are given this life because you are strong enough to face it. You have the power of your mind, claim it and consciously use it.
– Switch your focus to the things you love, the things that make you happy. If dancing makes you happy, dance whenever you are feeling low, if singing makes you happy sing. No one is going to stop you from doing things you love. Write down your feelings on a piece of paper, pour your heart out. You’ll be amazed how cathartic these simple things can be for you.
– Make sure you don’t start seeing yourself through the eyes of others. Know your worth and start appreciating and respecting yourself. Be happy with who you are because life is too short to be someone else.
– Talking about problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about your joys. Every breath you take is a gift. Learn to maximise your joys. Laugh as much as you can. Appreciate more, complain less.
– Stop giving people and circumstances the power to steal your peace. It belongs to you and nobody should be able to take it away. Remember one thing; no matter how much you are close to a person, that person is not going to stay with you forever. Accept the fact that relations change and many people will come and go from your life. But the key of happiness will always be with you. Learn to let go things. After all, change is the only thing constant in life.
– Forgive people. When you choose to forgive people who have hurt you, you take away their power to control you. Inner peace begins the moment you choose NOT to allow another person to dominate your thoughts. Remind yourself, no one in this world has the power to destroy your peace of mind. You are strong enough to face difficulties without getting affected.
– Give some space to yourself. Cry when you can’t take it anymore. Allow yourself to loosen up. Respect your emotions and let it flow for a while. Crying over things doesn’t mean you are giving up. It only means that you are strong enough to face your own self in adversities. Make sure when you are finally calm, to go outside, take a deep breath and remind yourself that nobody but you have the key to your happiness. Make your emotions your strength. It’ll help you in understanding yourself.
– No matter what, DON’T GIVE UP. Like Rocky says, “It is not about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” That’s how winning is done. Time heals everything so keep moving on.
You’ll never change your life until you start changing something you do daily. Realise when it’s time to bring about change in yourself. Every new day gives you a chance to change your life.
YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, BUT IF YOU DO IT’S RIGHT, ONCE IS ENOUGH.