Most people have not heard of this college. Let alone count it in the same ranks as DTU, NIT and IIITs. Yet, it has carved a niche for itself in recent years and is fervently trying to make itself more known.
Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, formerly Delhi Institute of Technology, was set up in 1983 at Kashmere Gate. In 1998, it shifted to its new campus at Azad Hind Fauj Marg, Dwarka spread over a lush green cover of 145 acres. An autonomous institute of the Government of NCT of Delhi, NSIT is now counted among the premier engineering colleges of India.
However, NSIT still remains a mystery to most of the people out there and so here are a few proud facts about this college:-
- The only engineering college under DU: This is a major plus point considering we get our degrees from DU, the only recognised university outside India. DU ke “engineers.” Just which other engineering college can boast of this?
- Our fests keep getting bigger and better: Moksha, the annual inter-college cultural festival, Innovision, the annual technical festival and Resonanz, the annual intra-college cultural festival are the three fests that are passionately organised each year. Courtesy the highly competent organising teams; Moksha has witnessed electrifying performances by world-renowned artists like Akcent and Edward Maya and are very own Sachin –Jigar and TVF among others. Moksha’15 even had its own Snapchat geofilter, NFC posters across Delhi’s famous lounges and live media coverage at hangouts like Dominoes and McDonalds. Now that is some serious achievement.
- A harbour of successful start-ups: Refiral, Reach, ReadStartups, Aspiring Minds, Custom-T, Appify4u and University Express are just some of the 25 odd start-ups that have been initiated by students of NSIT. This throws light on their inspiring entrepreneurial temperament and notable strategic and analytic thinking and the presence of an atmosphere conducive to starting of successful businesses.
- The elusive CEDT lab : Students from “DTU” come to “NSIT” for this lab. Yes, college rivalry takes a back- seat when it comes to this lab which is known for its impressive 3-D printer, state-of-the-art PCB fabrication equipment and other latest infrastructure which has simply taken electronics to a new level. Considering NSIT is a government college, successful operation of this lab surely is commendable.
- Versatility of societies: Be it dramatics, dance, music, photography, journalism, poetry, entrepreneurship, management, coding, quizzing, sketching…the list could go on; NSIT has a respectable society for each. We believe in overall development, acquiring of as many skills as possible and establishment of a holistic and varied work atmosphere. The end result: – participation in a multitude of competitions, fests and conclaves and victory in a few with simultaneous building up of CVs.
- Busy bees hain sab : We do a lot of things. We may be studying in a top-notch engineering college, but we do more non-tech work than tech. Our time-tables are packed with meetings and shiz, our laptop desktops are smeared with important folders, our Whatsapp chats are full of numerous society/club/blog/training/internship groups and our mails are overflowing with forwards and replies. Competition hai hi itna. Sabko sab kuch karna hai.
- The awesome canteens: Khaana. Bas yeh chaar shabd mil jaaye toh zindagi safal hai. NSIT is known for its canteens and cafeterias which serve lip-smacking, steaming hot food, a variety of beverages and soft drinks and healthy and tasty packaged food. All at reasonable prices. There are four canteens in total and each is unique in its own way with mouth-watering menus.
- The “it-cannot –get- better” hostel life: Sigh. This is for those poor day scholars who will never be able to experience it. Hostel life at NSIT is unparalleled, incomparable and simply too good to be true. The biggest factor being the mess food not all that bad and in fact better than home-cooked food at times. The group studying sessions during exams, the crazy birthday celebrations, late-night tom-foolery and the perfect close-knit bonding with fellow hostellers. Hostel gives one the experience of a life-time.